We love to educate our customers!
Please see below for a discussion of many popular questions.
Questions about Patches
Why do you refer to your patches as topical patches, rather than transdermal patches? Are you a transdermal patch manufacturer? As our facility is registered with the FDA and we are careful to follow their rules, we at ACT understand that the word “transdermal” is reserved for drug patches. Most of the skin patches that we manufacture for our customers do not use ingredients that have been regulated by the FDA and declared to be ‘drugs’, so we don’t use that phrase when referring to our patches. (More details here)
- Comparing Monolithic Patches vs. Pad Patches
- How do Ingredient-in-Adhesive (aka Monolithic) Patches work?
- Do Patches Work?
- How to Apply a Topical Patch
- Transdermal Patches or Topical Patches?
Questions about Raw Materials
Do you work with ingredients not listed here? Yes! Please contact us for more details.
I’m interested in getting into the topical patch market, but I’m not sure exactly what ingredients I should use. Can you help me figure out what should go in my patch? Yes! We have a staff of experts ready to help you bring your dreams to reality.
- Miscellaneous Questions about Active Ingredients
- What Active Ingredients Can Be Used in a Topical Patch
- Adhesive Questions
- Vitamins and Nutraceuticals
- Occlusive Barrier
- Statement about Combinations
Questions about Services Provided
What exactly do I get with a formulation? We work with your end-goals in mind, and produce a written formulation to your specifications. This written formulation will tell you exactly what you need to put in your topical patch. It is not a product sample. We don’t duplicate our formulations – if we work with multiple customers who want the same result, those customers receive different formulations. This formulation becomes your property.
Another part of our formulation services is simply telling you what will and will not work in topical delivery options. Not everything that works in a cream or an edible will work in a topical patch. (More details here).
I’m concerned about the privacy of my ideas. American Custom Technologies takes your confidentiality very seriously, and we’re happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement with you.
What about testing services? We can provide third-party testing services for an additional fee.
- Contract Manufacturing vs. White-Label Manufacturing
- The Process of Developing a Topical Patch
- What Don’t We Do? (Our limitations – export, art, legal advice, etc).
Can you give me a quick quote off the top of your head? No. The ingredient market is quite volatile. We’d be happy to get you a detailed quote – just contact us!
Can you package my patches for me? Absolutely! We offer a full range of packaging services, and can take your order from the formulation stage all the way to drop-shipping directly to your distribution points (we are not a fulfillment center).
I just want to get my items packaged – I don’t want to buy a topical patch. Can you help me with that? Yes! American Custom Technologies can help you with any number of packaging options.
We’ve also found articles you might be interested in from all over the web.
Topical and Transdermal:
- What’s the difference between topical and transdermal drug delivery systems, aka T.D.D.S.?
- Transdermal Patches: History, Development and Pharmacology
- Delivery Methods: The Patch vs. The Oral Route
- Transdermal drug-delivery patches treat local pain
- What does the FDA say about topical patches?
- Are topical patches safe?
- What ingredients will penetrate the skin barrier?
- The FDA’s page for NDA (new drug applications)
- What is an OTC drug?
- Tell me more about the FDA Disclaimer
- FDA Recall